Saturday, January 31, 2009

Advanced... but not quite...

Sat Zach through an informal assessment today... his first encounter with OG in person.

He actually did quite well, especially with the real words. There were a few that he couldn't read, but weirdly enough, some were actually quite simple words. He even managed some of the nonsense words well enough, though there were quite a few he was inclined to change them back into more familiar sounding words as well.

Like the EP said, his word attack skills were weak, and this showed up particularly when trying to spell words he had not seen many times before.

He also took a while to understand what to do, when I was testing him on his ability to manipulate sounds... we started by having him change the first sounds of words, like from cat to bat, telling him to change /k/ to /b/.... but later when I switched and changed the last sound, like from cat to cab, he knew he had to use the /b/ sound, but he ended up still switching the first instead of the last sound. After two mistakes, I knew I had to stop and really explain until he got it before I went on, because I knew he could manipulate the sounds... he was just having trouble wrapping his mind around the task... so after that, he scored full marks.

He already knows many of the sounds like vowels pairs and consonant pairs... but I still need to get him up to par with the rules and keywords that come with them... but I think I can skip quite a bit and plunge into the thick of things. Now to familiarise him with the OG lesson structure and what is required of him.

It's going to be an interesting time, because I've not been this high up on the OG scope and sequence on a practicial level as yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment