Sunday, February 8, 2009

Zach's first session...

It wasn't really an OG lesson per se. We went through the Sound Deck - he knew many of the sounds already, even the higher level ones, because he could think of words that had those combinations of letters and pick out the sounds... but he still needs to learn the rules that govern those letter combinations.

I think I might just have to pick out all the different combinations to the same sounds, and expose him to many word lists for those combinations, and show him the rules for the various combinations. And once he's mastered those, then I'll do the Sound Deck drill with him, as well as checking on the rules of those sounds.

I think I also have to move on straight to prefixes and suffixes as well as syllabication rules. He can instinctively break them up already, just not without fail... but then again, many words defy the syllabication rules, so it's not a foolproof thing either.

Then I may have to move quickly on to morphology... something that is completely new to me. That I will have to learn and explore together with him... because in time, I will have to teach that to my other students too! *grin*

I also put him through the learned word list - I had to check which he could spell already, and which he could only read... and he knows most of the words there... so it's going to be interesting to see what other learned words we can pick out that are not already in Ron's lists.

It's going to be a challenge teaching Zach OG... but I'm up to it! I think...

No comments:

Post a Comment